CS294-7 paper summaries
These summaries were authored by
Steve Gribble and
Some papers are from Randy Katz's CS294 seminar on
wireless communications, others are from Daedalus/BARWAN reading groups.
- K.C. Chen, Medium Access Control of Wireless LANs for
Mobile Computing. IEEE Network, Sep/Oct 1994.
- Norman Abramson, Multiple Access in
Wireless Digital Networks. Proceedings of the IEEE
82(9), Sept 1994.
- David G. Steer, Coexistence and
Access Etiquette in the U.S. Unlicensed PCS Band. IEEE
Personal Communications, Fourth Quarter 1994.
- David D. Falconer, Fumiyuki Adachi, and Bjorn Gudmundson,
Time Division Multiple Access Methods
for Wireless Personal Communications. IEEE Communications
Magazine, January 1995.
- Ryuji Kohno, Reuven Meidan, and Laurence B. Milstein,
Spread Spectrum Access Methods for
Wireless Communications. IEEE Communications Magazine,
- Moe Rahnema, Overview of the GSM
System and Protocol Architecture. IEEE Communications
Magazine, April 1993.
- Mobeen Kahn and John Kilpatrick, MOBITEX
and Mobile Data Standards. IEEE Communications
Magazine, March 1995.
- Antonio DeSimone and Sanjiv Nanda,
Wireless data: Systems, standards,
services. Wireless Networks 1, 1995.
- Norman Adams, Rich Gold, Bill N. Schilit, Michael M. Tso, and
Roy Want, An Infrared Network for Mobile
Computers. Proceedings of the Usenix Symposium on Mobile and
Location-Independent Computing, Summer 1993.
- Mario Gerla and Jack Tzu-Chieh Tsai,
Multicluster, Mobile, Multimedia Radio Network. ACM Wireless
Networks, vol 1, no 3, October 1995.
Packet Radio Networks
- Robert E. Kahn, Steven A. Gronemeyer, Jerry Burchfiel, and
Ronald C. Kunzelman, Advances in Packet
Radio Technology. Proceedings of the IEEE, vol 66,
no 11, November 1978.
- John Jubin and Janet D. Tornow, The
DARPA Packet Radio Network Protocols. Proceedings of the
IEEE, vol 75, no 1, January 1987.
- Andrew Myles, David B. Johnson, and Charles Perkins,
A Mobile Host Protocol Supporting
Route Optimization and Authentication. IEEE
Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol 13,
no 5, June 1995.
- John Ioannidis, Dan Duchamp, and G.Q. Maguire Jr.,
Protocols for Mobile Internetworking. SIGCOMM '91
Conference: Communications Architectures and Protocols,
pp 235-245, Association for Computing Machinery, September,
Transport and Network Level Optimizations
- Raj Yavatkar and Namrata Bhagawat,
Improving End-to-End Performance of TCP Over Mobile
Internetworks. Proceedings IEEE Workshop on Mobile Computing
Systems and Applications, December 1994.
- Ajay Bakre and B.R. Badrinath,
I-TCP: Indirect TCP for Mobile Hosts. Proc. 15th Int'l
Conf. on Distributed Computing Systems, May 1995.
- Hari Balakrishnan, Srinivasan Seshan, and Randy H. Katz,
Improving Reliable Transport
and Handoff Performance in Cellular Wireless Networks.
ACM Wireless Networks, V 1, N 4,December 1995.
- Rohit Ghai and Suresh Singh, An
Architecture and Communication Protocol for Picocellular
Networks. IEEE Personal Communications,
Third Quarter 1994.
- Sirin Tekinay and Bijan Jabbari,
Handover and Channel Assignment in Mobile Cellular Networks.
IEEE Communications Magazine, November 1991.
- A. Acampora, M. Naghshineh, An
Architecture and Methodology for Mobile-Executed
Handoff in Cellular ATM Networks. IEEE Journal on Selected
Areas in Communications, V 12, N 8, October 1994, pp 1365-1375.
Security and Privacy
Satellite and Broadcast
- S. Acharya, R. Alonso, M. Franklin, S. Zdonik.
Broadcast Disks: Data management for asymmetric communication
Available as Brown Univ. TR CS-94-43 or UMD TR CS-TR-3369.